Improv Art Quilt Design Class
At the end of the workshop you will have all kinds of new techniques in your tool box!
In this class let yourself break free, give yourself permission to play with fabric, experiment with new techniques, work outside of your comfort zone, think outside of the box and by all means have fun.
Spend the day creating a small art quilt while learning several different techniques as the day progresses along with your design and confidence in working and creating beyond your comfort zone.
The day will start with making the background, quilting it and then moving on to creating a focal point on the background with several different techniques. Use one, two or all of them to create this fun little mini art quilt.
The goal of this class is to have fun and be free to play with the techniques presented.
This class is suitable for all levels of quilters.
Thanks Jen for the wonderful virtual Improv Art Quilt Design Workshop. This project was totally outside my comfort zone, but I enjoyed the workshop and I was thrilled with the wallhanging that I made. Thank you for your excellent handouts, demonstrations and your samples were an inspiration to learn more.
- Discuss options for the background – checkerboard, curved, strip pieced, whole cloth
- Learn an easy, no-pin, curved piecing technique – take it a step further if you like and make a checkerboard background with this technique.
- Learn how to couch with and without a couching foot.
- Make a birds nest or a flower – thread play using water soluble stabilizer.
- Appliqué with fusible web.
- Create texture in your fabric with Texture Magic – oh what fun it is!.
- Create a new piece of fabric with collage using free motion zigzag to hold it all together.
- Discuss other embellishing ideas.
- Finishing options – facing or binding?
- Hanging sleeve options.
- Discuss options for inspiration such as tissue boxes.
- Handouts provided for each technique
Note that the featured images on this page are just one of many examples of the types projects that may result from this workshop. Each and every quilt will be unique as this class focuses on improv design rather than following a specific pattern.
- Session 1: one hour focusing on the supply list, fabric selection and ideas for inspiration
- Session 2: 2.5 hours focusing on creating the background along with discussion and demos of different techniques that can be used to create the art quilt
- Session 3: 2.5 hours focusing on finishing the art quilt
Sessions include theory with slideshows, live demos and lots of time to work on the project and receive feedback from Jen
- Fabric selection and ideas for inspiration
- Creating the background along with discussion and demos of different techniques that can be used to create the art quilt
- Finishing options
Book Jen Now
Contact Jen today to choose the perfect trunk show or workshop for your guild
Jen is available to present trunk shows, seminars and workshops from an evening to multiple days for your group, club, guild, shop or festival wherever you may be.
For a list of Jen’s current engagements and workshops check out her workshop schedule.
Call Jen now at +1-705-835-3064 (or use the form below) to discuss your needs and book her in for your next get-together.