Hey Everyone, welcome back to Cool Tool Thursday.
I’m working on a memory quilt right now and a lot of the clothing is t-shirts and other knits. In order to be able to work with them easily so that they don’t stretch when cutting and sewing an interfacing needs to be applied to the back of the fabrics.
Pellon Easy-Knit EK 130 is a light weight interfacing that fuses to the back of the fabric and stays in the quilt. As you can see from the photo at the top of the page it is very translucent and you can see the cutting mat through the single layer of interfacing easily. The product is very thin and lightweight which means there will be very little bulk from it it in the project. This product is recommended for light to medium weight knit and non-woven fabrics.
One side of the interfacing is smooth while the other side is rough. The rough side is the side with the fusible glue. This fusible side is placed faced down on the wrong side of the knit fabric.
When fusing the interfacing to the fabrics it is recommended that a damp pressing cloth be used with the iron on the wool/steam setting. The iron should be pressed firmly in place for a full 10 seconds – repeat to cover the whole piece of interfacing.
Do not slide the iron back and forth just set it firmly in one place for the recommended time then pick it up and set it down in the next area with some overlapping of the area already fused.
The iron the manufacturer’s instructions recommends is a steam iron with a steel plate but I used one with a Teflon plate and it worked just fine.
I had thought that possibly a Teflon appliqué sheet instead of the damp pressing sheet would work but because steam is required the Teflon is not a good idea. When a steam iron is put on a Teflon sheet the steam just billows up from and under and around the iron with the potential to cause a steam burn. I will use the damp pressing cloth.
Pretty much like applying fusible web for appliqué. Just make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the product to achieve optimal results. Which I did and the results were optimal.
I’ve got a few more pieces of fabric to apply this interfacing to so I’ll sign off for now and let you know later how the cutting and piecing goes.